"An Island Surrounded by Land": Adventures in Paraguay

A chronicled account of the happenings in Chris and Marisa's lives during their two-year, three-month stint with the Peace Corps in Paraguay, South America. Disclaimer: Nothing written here should be interpreted as official or unofficial Peace Corps literature or as sanctioned by the Peace Corps or the U.S. government in any way. We have chosen to write about our experiences online in order to update family and friends. These are the views solely belonging to Chris and Marissa.

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

I just wanted to post something quickly for you all to read since it appears that we have a loyal following and that more and more people are starting to read this.

Well, on Friday the 24th, we will be finding out where we will be living for the next 2 years of our life. That´s all--nothing big. We are really excited and I´m actually a little nervous.

Until then, we have our last day of practice tomorrow where we have to give presentations which our language teachers will evaluate. I have to give mine in spanish and guarani, and it will be about composting. Thursday, our entire training group will be celebrating Thanksgiving by having a large potluck at the training headquarters.

Chris and I have been doing well lately and we celebrated my birthday with our family at the house. Our father came home with like 12 lbs. of meat and we had an asado (which is spanish for barbecue--only the meat and the grill are a bit different. We also celebrated our younger brother (same day) Victor´s birthday-who turned 17, and my other brother´s birthday(Ariel)who turned 5 on the 16th. It was also the confirmation of my other brother, Ricardo, on the 17th, so we had about 17 people over for dinner.
It was a very nice day overall and my sweet mom clipped fresh roses for me out of her garden to present to me on my birthday morning.

Everything is going well. We will be heading into the city on Sunday and will be trying to make routine calls to the family and will also update the blog and try to add pictures. We may even be able to use the Skype account before then to call home (thanks Sally!!).

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!! We are both grateful to have friends and family like you all who have supported us tremendously in our Peace Corps endeavours!!

1 Comments:

  • At 5:00 PM , Blogger Jill said...

    Hey, honey! Happy Thanksgiving to you, too! No one here celebrates it, of course. So Thanksgiving, like the 4th of July this year, were the quietest and most uncelebratory of my life. It's depressing, in a way, having holidays so ingrained in my childhood simply evaporating with my new locale. I anticipate you'll experience similar sentiments.

    Anyway, I wanted to say that I have Skype, too! I tried to add your gmail address, but you're not listed under that one. Add me to your contacts list, baby! (Use my gmail address.)

    Love you! Miss you! Feliz cumpleanos, honey pie!

    Did you get the parcel yet?

    xoxoxoxoxo

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home