"An Island Surrounded by Land": Adventures in Paraguay

A chronicled account of the happenings in Chris and Marisa's lives during their two-year, three-month stint with the Peace Corps in Paraguay, South America. Disclaimer: Nothing written here should be interpreted as official or unofficial Peace Corps literature or as sanctioned by the Peace Corps or the U.S. government in any way. We have chosen to write about our experiences online in order to update family and friends. These are the views solely belonging to Chris and Marissa.

Friday, January 05, 2007

Creepy Crawlies




Thankful for me, the site where Chris and I live has one of the lowest concentrations of mosquitoes I´ve yet experienced in Paraguay. Thankful for ME. All the bugs usually love me, and since we´ve been here, I´ve had a mouth virus, bed bugs, all sorts of infected mosquito bites which ooze pus (one which most recently which gave me a fever last week), a near eye infection, and most recently a bacterial sore throat infection from which I am recovering. So I am thoroughly surprised that Chris was plagued with whatever larvae-laying, flesh-boring insect that decided to bite one of us. Because neither of us has been anywhere without the other. Last night I pulled the scab off Chris´ wound to purge it of pus and was surprised to see the hole had become deeper (see above). Though it is no longer infected, I am now able to insert a needle about 1 cm. deep without pain. The usual protocol when handling these types of bugs is to suffocate it out by putting tape over the wound and waiting a bit for the critter to come to the surface for air. Nothing came, so I pronounce the wound bug-free. But why won´t it close then?? Where are Raquel and Patsy when I need them?

Anyway, it´s been a rather frustrating past few days. I´ve been sick and it rained one day, which brings everything to a stand-still. Not to mention the power was out for 18 hours. Usually I look forward to this sort of thing...not when the well is powered by an electric pump and there´s no water for 18 hours and you can´t even brush teeth, drink water, shower, or cook...!!! Not then.

Chris and I are going to build a house, look´s like. A little brick one of our very own. About 5x6 meters, with an outside latrine. We aren´t sure when construction will begin but hopefully soon.

On the up side, we´ve been invited (rather randomly, I might add) to go help make and eat lunch at a family´s house on Sunday. We are going to make Sopa Paraguaya and empanadas. How often does it happen that when you stop in to buy a Coke, that someone just invites you in to visit and then asks you over for lunch the following Sunday? Never. That just doesn´t happen in the U.S.

And last but not least, a photo of our current, temporary house above. It´s definitely one of the better places we could be and is located about 20 yards from our host family. Tried to send these pics and more to everyone, but haven´t been able to in gmail last couple times, so I hope these suffice and I´ll try to send them again next time and even more.

In the mean time, we´ll keep on keepin´ on and HAPPY 2007!!

Love,
Marissa

1 Comments:

  • At 3:57 PM , Blogger Jill said...

    Marisa,
    Brian called me the other day. I told him that you and Chris are going to have to build your own house and that neither of you knows how to do that. He offered his assistance, because, as you know, Brian can pretty much build anything. However, as to be expected, he's broke. He says if you guys fly him out there, he'll build your house for you and/or instruct you how to do it yourselves using the resources available. I suggested he do that remotely from Flag and he said he could and would. I guess you just need to get in contact with him and he can try and advise from afar. I'll email you his cell #.

    Your bug problems are grossing me the frick out. I have the hibbly jibblies imagining some flesh-boring, larvae-laying bug crawling around inside me subdermally. OMG. Ugh, ugh, ugh, ugh. I am so glad I don't have to worry about the sort of pest problems you do.

    Also, as far as teaching ecological awareness to the local kids goes, hooray for your taking the incentive to do so! No brilliant curriculum ideas come up right away, but I'll have a think and see if I can't come up with some clever way to teach animal appreciation to the Paraguayitos...

    I love reading your blog. I thank God for the internet on a near-daily basis. Without the internet, I'd feel much further away from you than I already do. Keep posting, and I will too.

    Love and miss you!
    Happy new year!
    Don't let the bed bugs bite!!!

    xoxoxoxo

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home