"An Island Surrounded by Land": Adventures in Paraguay

A chronicled account of the happenings in Chris and Marisa's lives during their two-year, three-month stint with the Peace Corps in Paraguay, South America. Disclaimer: Nothing written here should be interpreted as official or unofficial Peace Corps literature or as sanctioned by the Peace Corps or the U.S. government in any way. We have chosen to write about our experiences online in order to update family and friends. These are the views solely belonging to Chris and Marissa.

Sunday, March 04, 2007

Quick Update

Hello everyone. Yes, it´s been a while and I just wanted to quickly update this to let everyone know what we´ve been up to the last month. We finally started to build on the new land and have almost finished the latrine. It took a lot of digging in hot weather and hard work, but am excited at the prospect of using a letrine that is not crawling with maggots and smells horrible. We just need to build a seat and put up the privacy structure around it. Never thought I´d be so excited about where I go to the bathroom.
Right now I am ill with some sort of gastrointestinal bug that has rendered me inactive while we are here in Asuncion trying to take a break from manual labor. It is frustrating to be sick while you have come for a break and just want to relax a little and eat some different food. I feel like crap and hope that it is not a giardia infection which comes and goes and makes you sick a couple times a month. We´ll see. I´ll check in at the doctors office tomorrow. I´m just glad that the painful cramps seem to have subsided for now.
Other than that, just going to continue plugging away at the house building. Two of our PC friends, a married couple named Justin and Amanda, are going to come stay with us on Wedneday and help us hopefully contruct the foundation to the house. Our PC friends near us have been really good about offering their help and we are very glad to have it.
The heat and bugs have been getting to me lately, probably because we´ve actually been working very hard in the thick of it. Hope it cools down soon.

Sorry no pictures for this update. I will try to get some up next time and maybe send some in e-mails. I must go rest for now as I am still sick and feel hollow inside from not eating. I hope all is well with all of our friends and family back home. Love you and miss you.

Chau,
Marissa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home